The Philippine national men’s basketball team lost a key player after sweet-shooting Larry Fonacier withdrew from the squad that is currently preparing for the FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain this August.
Fonacier, who suffered a career-threatening knee injury during his college days before carving out a PBA career, opted to not join Gilas Pilipinas because of medical reasons, according to coach Chot Reyes.
“It is with deep sadness that we have to accept Larry’s request to beg off the Gilas pool for the meantime. Unknown to many, Larry has been playing through a variety of foot and back injuries that have bothered him the past 2 years; and it is only his great dedication that has prevented him from taking anytime off,” Reyes wrote on his Twitter account Thursday morning.
NEW DELHI – India said Wednesday it has “shocked and outraged” after learning Sikh members of the national basketball team were not allowed to wear turbans on court at the recent Asia Cup.
Sports minister Sarbananda Sonowal said wearing a turban on court did not impact on “fair play” and he was surprised to learn about the incident at the FIBA Asia Cup in China earlier this month.
Sonowal said he has asked the International Olympic Committee to issue guidelines on the wearing of turbans so that “such incidents do not take place again.”
MANILA – Kobe Paras, son of former Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) star Benjie Paras, got the green light from his school in Los Angeles to play in the FIBA Under 18 Slam Dunk contest in Qatar this August.
According to Philboxing’s Ronnie Nathanielsz, the 16-year-old was allowed by Cathedral College in Los Angeles to join the FIBA competition which will run from August 16 to 29.
Paras took home the slam dunk title after dunking over teammate Thirdy Ravena, who was sitting on a motorcycle during Kobe’s dunk. Thirdy is a son of another PBA star, Bong Ravena.
MANILA, Philippines – After the uproar over the cancellation of the basketball game of the Smart-Gilas Pilipinas against the National Basketball Association stars, the premier basketball league in the world broke its silence and blasted the promoters of the Gilas Last Home Stand for failing to meet the NBA requirements.
In a statement issued Wednesday, the NBA said that under their Collective Bargaining Agreement, which regulates the players’ on and off-court business, promoters are required to assure the safety of the players and seek permission from the player and their respective teams to allow a basketball game to be played in the off-season.
NBA said the promoter of the Home Stand, East-West Private LLC, did not meet the requirements for a basketball game to be played.
The NBA on Wednesday released an official statement addressing why a planned exhibition series featuring some of the league's stars against the Gilas Pilipinas national team fell through.
"Under the terms of the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement, players are allowed to participate in offseason basketball games or exhibitions when requirements for those events are met, including ensuring that appropriate safeguards be in place, and the promoter seeks the proper exemptions from the NBA and the player’s team," the league said in the statement.
"The promoter of this proposed event, East-West Private LLC, was informed of this process several months ago but did not take the required steps."
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine Under-18 team just got a big boost as teen slam dunk champion Kobe Paras committed to suit up for the squad in the Fiba Asia U18 from Aug. 19 to 28 in Doha, Qatar.
Based in Los Angeles for the past year, the 6-foot-6 Paras will return to the country on Aug. 1 to train with the young Nationals mentored by Jamike Jarin.
“The presence of Kobe brings a lot of athleticism to the team,” Jarin said of the 16-year-old Paras, the son of the PBA’s only rookie MVP Benjie. “He’s going to play multiple positions.”
A planned series of exhibition matches between Gilas Pilipinas and a selection of NBA stars has turned into public relations nightmare for PLDT, which bankrolled the event.
Manuel V. Pangilinan, who chairs the telecommunications firm, has already publicly apologized after the expected matchup between the Philippine team and the NBA players fell through on Tuesday night, with the second night of the series on Wednesday also being cancelled.
But Pangilinan, who also serves as president of Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, expressed hope that the fiasco would not dampen the support of Filipino fans for Gilas, which is set to compete in the FIBA Basketball World Cup next month.